Labels

Tuesday 7 July 2020

Paradise Postponed


The lock down restrictions were eased even further on Saturday, when many of the pubs reopened in Britain. Not all of them reopened, there are some that have worrying not reopened – even though they have a beer garden. The pubs with gardens that have reopened, have strict guidelines – you have to book tables in advance, and time slots for when you can visit a pub ect. My partner and I, are currently self isolating because we are awaiting the results of a covid-19 test, so our return to any pub has been delayed. I'm not sure if it wise to visit pubs at the moment anyway, regardless of the results of a test. 

One of the places I am missing most at the moment, is Weston-super-Mare, it is one of my most favourite places in England. I went there a couple of times as a child with family and friends, but it wasn't until a return journey in 1995, that I fell in love with the place. I had recently watched a programme about Birnbeck Pier, and how it had fallen into disrepair – it closed in 1994. So I travelled by train to see the Pier and become re-acquainted with Weston, and so began a lifelong love affair! I love some of the quirky architecture, the shops and cafes, Sand Bay and Kewstoke – and the sea (when it is in of course, they don't call it Weston-super-Mud for nothing!)

I have been back to Weston many times since 1995, sometimes for a day trip, sometimes to stay. Back in the 1990's, I used to stay at youth hostels, but I could never sleep very well, so I began staying at that marvellous British institution – the good old B&B. The oddest experience I had, was a few years ago when I stayed at a guest house, that was unstaffed and had a card entry system. Which was all very well and good, until I woke in the early hours, to find the front door wide open! Unfortunately The B&B, is another institution that seems to be disappearing, Locking Road In Weston used to be crammed with B&B's, now there are very few of them.

Birnbeck Pier September 2019



A photo of the Pier, taken from an open top bus.


18th July 2020

I realise that this post had very little to do with pubs, but it is my blog and I reserve the right to go off on the odd tangent now and then! Just for the record, we are a covid-19 free household. Phew!


No comments:

Post a Comment